Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Beginning of the End

So this past week marked the final week of my full time teaching. It also marked week 15, which means one more to go. I know it's coming, and so do my third graders. They are already getting really clingy, which I do not mind, and keep asking me why I have to leave. I can feel the tears building up already.

For my final week of teaching, I wanted to make sure I used the smart board as much as I could. We theme tested in reading Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. For Monday and Tuesday,I made review games on the smart board. I used power point since I have no idea how to use any other software, but it still served it purpose, and the students really enjoyed it. I made different games for all the different topics covered in the theme. I think it really helped them remember things from the beginning of the theme, and hopefully they will all do well on their test.

Math was also review week since we had out unit test on Friday. Monday I finished the last lesson on Partial Products with 2 digit numbers. I uploaded the worksheets onto the smart board, and we did all of the problems together. Tuesday we didn't have math because we had an Author visit from Kay Winters. It was great, and the students really enjoyed it. Kay asked me to be her "helper" which was a bit embarrassing since I am not a regular teacher, but enjoyed participating and I think the kids enjoyed it too.

In science this week, we wrapped up seeds and crayfish. Monday we explored seeds more, and built our hydroponics station. We out the seeds into our station on Monday, and they have already grown so much when I took a picture on Friday! It is amazing seeing the transformation day to day. Tuesday we took our seed quiz, which the kids all did great on! We had to sit and talk with them about how if they did not pay attention during class while we discussed the facts of things, then they could no participate in hands on activities anymore. (They were getting pretty rowdy). So, I think this motivated them to actually pay attention and study their facts on the seeds.

Wednesday, I re-introduced the cray fish. We examined them already, but never actually talked about them. We read 'Science Stories" (FOSS) on crayfish. Then, I found this great website from BYU all about crayfish. Apparently they have a whole crayfish study program. This website was great for the class. We explored all different types of crayfish, and there was a great diagram that showed all the structures of a crayfish. They really enjoyed this. It was a good way to do the boring stuff in a fun way.

Thursday I did a lesson on crayfish behaviors. The students had a checklist, and had to write what behaviors the crayfish showed when they did certain things like touch its tail, pick it up, etc. My P.Stef also came for this lesson as my final observation. I think he enjoyed seeing such a hands on activity. At one point, a student dropped a crayfish on the ground and it started running away. Inside I was dying, but i stayed calm, handled the kids well,and fixed the situation. I was pretty proud of myself.

Thursday was also the final conference between Molly, P.Stef and myself. I was nervous, but not like I was before. I was nervous because I know I had accomplished so much in the 16 weeks, and I was excited to talk about it and hear feedback. P. Stef gave me "exemplary" on everything! I was really excited, because this shows that he believes in me. When discussing my time, Molly said great things about me also, things she has never said before. This made me feel good because I know she also believes in me, and it was nice to hear it.

To end an amazing day, Thursday was my last Classroom Management class! This class had been more painful than any class I have ever had. Taking it while student teaching was probably the biggest mistake of my life, but I pushed through it. Our final project was due this night, something I had been working on since week 1, the Classroom Management Handbook. This contained 15 sections of procedures, activities, and standards for all aspects of classroom management. It was a killer. But I finished it, and it felt like a million pounds were lifted off my shoulders. This binder was bigger than my student teaching binder. To be finished feels great, and marks the beginning of the end.

Next week is the final four days. I am excited to spend the last few days stress free, but I know it will be hard come 3:40 Thursday afternoon.






No comments:

Post a Comment