Saturday, March 10, 2012

Getting Ready for the Big Test!

Wow. Week 7 flew by! I can't believe that it's Saturday already! Let's see, what happened this week...

I gotta say that this was a pretty normal week. Nothing crazy happened. Nothing out of the ordinary. We are finishing up Story Town Theme 4 this week, with the final lesson next week which is just a review and Readers Theatre, which I am very excited about! When I started taking over the Reading block in my second week, I had started Theme 4. To be finished the whole theme, and know that I taught it is a great feeling. Hopefully the theme test will go over well!

I have also taken on Math full time. It's funny because I'm actually really good at math, even though I don't like it too much, but I think it shows. Teaching it has come more naturally to me than the Reading block, which took me up until this point to get used to and create my own kind of rhythm. With Math, I already have a rhythm and I can see a change in students' understanding already, and so can Ms. M, cause she told me :]

I decided to take a picture of a sample of my writing on the board. These are pictographs that we were working on for PSSA prep during RtI. The kids couldn't stop making fun of my ice cream cones. Hey, I never said I was an artist.




Science is getting better each day. I only taught 2 science lessons this week, because Social Studies and Science blocks are split throughout the week. Science is also something that I say I hate, yet I feel comfortable teaching it and my point gets across to the students. Isn't that ironic, that my favorite subject, Reading, was my biggest struggle teaching, and my least favorite subjects were a piece of cake?

Next week is PSSA, which is the state testing for Pennsylvania. Ms. M doesn't seem too worried about it, so I haven't really worried either. Next week will be a fun easy week. We still have to teach full days, besides the times that they take the test, which is everyday from 9:15-10:30. But the after recess and lunch blocks will be light, fun activities, though still educational. I wrote out the wholes weeks lessons myself, for the first time....


It's hard to see, but the fact that Ms. M is trusting me with the whole week is pretty awesome.

For my last note, I was grading tests last night, and I came upon this....


This is from our "problem student". He is the student who says he can never do anything, and everything is too hard. This is our Story Town Lesson 19 test, in which he got a 100 percent! When I saw this, I got really excited and texted Ms. M immediately telling her. I feel like he is finally getting it, and finally trying. He is a very smart student, yet he doesn't have the confidence in himself that he needs. And the fact that he got a 100 percent on a test from a lesson that I taught does make me feel good :)

Almost forgot... we were playing 7 up before lunch on Tuesday because we had a a few minutes to spare. One of the kids said " You can tell if a boy or girl picks you, cause girls have soft hands." Oh my gosh, I melted! How cute!


3 comments:

  1. Hi Elizabeth!

    Congrats on starting to take the whole week over! That is so exciting! I definitely remember the anticipation of slowly starting to teach more and more! Looks like you are doing a great job from all of your fabulous pictures! And yay for the student's 100% test score! That is SO exciting! Thanks for stopping by my blog and I am excited to be following your adventures through student teaching!

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much! I appreciate the comments, and feedback is always welcome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth, I am so happy to hear that you have a wonderful mentor teacher! I have had a student teacher once and have been afraid to have one again because I worry about being a good mentor for them.

    I know your heart is jumping for joy at the success of that little one. It is those moments that make all of the other obstacles do-able.

    I am not an artist either but my Firsties still think I am...now singing is a different story. =)

    I am so happy to now follow you on your journey. I would love for you to come visit me when you can. I would really, really LOVE for you to read about Conscious Discipline. It is the most amazing thing I have ever learned or done as a teacher. It is all about building your school family. I am amazed each year to look and see the helpful, kind, and caring kiddos my little ones grow to be!


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete